Manganuku Bridge


Category
Engineering Work (eg road, bridge, sawmill, dam)

Description

The Manganuku bridge was built in 1928. It has a main span of 24.8 metres and is one of the few remaining Howe truss hardwood bridges in New Zealand. The bridge was replaced by a nearby concrete bridge in 1964 but remains and was put into a sound state later with funds from the Department of Conservation and provides access to the Waioeka Gorge Scenic Reserve.

Design and built by: Public Works Department.
Later stabilising: Gisborne office of Works Consultancy Services Ltd


Heritage Recognition
This place has been recognised by Heritage New Zealand as a Category 2 historic place (List no.7197):
Manganuku Bridge: New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero information (www.heritage.org.nz)

IPENZ “Engineering to 1990” project
This item of New Zealand’s engineering heritage was recognised as part of the IPENZ “Engineering to 1990” project which the Institution organised to help celebrate the country’s sesquicentenary in 1990. A plaque was unveiled to mark the significance of this bridge as part of the development of the nation.


Reference:
Geoffrey Thornton, Bridging the Gap: Early bridges in New Zealand, 1830-1939, Reed, Auckland, 2001


Attachments

No Attachments

Location

50 kilometres south of Opotiki on State Highway 2



Region/s
Bay of Plenty, East Coast

Access Info
This bridge is owned by the Department of Conservation and is part of their Manganuku Picnic Area. (www.doc.govt.nz)

Nature of Engineering
Transport (Road, sea, air, incl vehicles)

 

IPENZ plaque for Manganuku Bridge, 2011. Photograph courtesy of J. La Roche

(Click image to enlarge )

Manganuku Bridge, 2011. Photograph courtesy of J. La Roche

(Click image to enlarge )

Lat: -38.290366 Long: 177.386305