Lower Shotover Bridge


Category
Engineering Work (eg road, bridge, sawmill, dam)

Description

A compound Pratt truss bridge, with tall concrete piers, the Lower Shotover Bridge was designed by eminent engineer, James Edward Fulton (1854-1928) in 1909. This bridge replaced a structure further down the Shotover River which had proven expensive for the Lake County Council to maintain because it was susceptible to the region’s frequent floods.

However, construction at the new road bridge was interrupted and significantly delayed because of a legal dispute between the contractors, Wellington-based firm Johnston, and the County Council, which arose because the contractor did not follow the specifications for one of the piers. Although seemingly resolved and work resuming, eventually the contractors ceased all works and in 1913 the County Council asked the Public Works Department (PWD) to complete the job. The County Council were vindicated for taking legal action against the contractor because the pier in question collapsed during a flood shortly before the PWD took over construction.

Starting virtually from scratch, the PWD completed the bridge on 14 April 1915, and the 172.5 metre long structure was officially opened by William Fraser (1840-1923), Minister of Public Works, a few days later.

In the early twenty-first century the old Lower Shotover Bridge no longer carried vehicle traffic, instead it was primarily used as a support for an irrigation pipeline. As such, the bridge had deteriorated due to neglect and in 2003 it was proposed that the structure should be restored. The project, which got underway in 2004, was organised by the Rotary Shotover Bridge Restoration Trust, with major funding from the Central Lakes Trust, Community Trust of Southland, and the Queenstown Lakes District Council.  The project was completed in 2005 and included the replacement of the Lower Shotover Bridge’s deck and handrails.

The structure is now used by the pedestrian and cyclist traffic associated with the Queenstown Trail. (www.queenstowntrail.co.nz)

References:
Otago Witness, 4 August 1909, p.39.
Evening Post, 17 October 1912, p.3.
‘Celebration as work starts on bridge restoration,’ Queenstown Lakes District Council Press Release, 18 August 2004
.
‘Public invited to bridge opening,’ Queenstown Lakes District Council Press Release, 19 May 2005
P. Lowe, 'Fulton, James Edward - Biography', from the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 1 Septenber 2010 (www.teara.govt.nz).
G. Thornton, Bridging the Gap: Early bridges in New Zealand, Auckland, 2001, pp.117, 163-64.


Attachments

No Attachments

Location

Lower Shotover, upstream of the State Highway 6 road bridge about 11 kilometres from Queenstown.



Region/s
Otago

Access Info
Pedestrians and cyclists can access this structure from either end via Spence Road

Nature of Engineering
Infrastructure (incl. Road, water, ports), Building and Construction, Transport (Road, sea, air, incl vehicles)

 

Lower Shotover Bridge prior to restoration, 2004. Photograph courtesy of L. Smith, IPENZ

(Click image to enlarge )

Lower Shotover Bridge, November 2009. Photograph courtesy of R. Aspden, IPENZ

(Click image to enlarge )

Bridge over the Shotover River in the Lower Shotover area, 1926. Godber, Albert Percy 1875-1949: Collection of albums, prints, and negatives, ID: APG-1683-1/2-G. Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand, must be obtained before any re-use of this image

(Click image to enlarge )

Lat: -44.9964 Long: 168.7585