ANDERSON, George Pellew, (1882 - 1948)
Mr Anderson was born in May 1882, and educated at Bury St Edmunds Grammar School and, after coming to New Zealand, Canterbury University College, he gained his early training with the late James Fulton, of the New Zealand Railways, and the late Leslie H. Reynolds, consulting engineer.
In 1916 he joined the Public Works Department where two of his first investigations were water power surveys at Mangahao and Waikaremoana. In 1919 he returned to Mangahao as assistant engineer on construction. In 1924 he took up an appointment at Head Office and later rose to the position of Design Engineer, Hydraulic Structures Branch, continuing in the State Hydro-electric Department when this was separated. He was not long retired when his death took place in November, 1948, Mr. Anderson joined the Institution as an Associate Member in 1917 and was elevated to Membership in 1937. He always regarded it as a duty to record his works and investigations for the benefit of other engineers and was thus a prolific author, many of his papers being presented to the, Institution and one gaining him the Fulton Gold Medal in 1937. Something at least of his unparalleled knowledge of potential hydro-electric development in the Dominion is thus preserved for posterity.
This biography is from the Proceedings of NZIE, 1949, Vol. XXXV, p 539.
Refer also to:
- Obituary, New Zealand Engineering, December 1948, p 1198
Note: George Anderson is recorded as producing 14 papers in the Proceedings of either the NZIE or the NZ Society of Civil Engineers and one in the ICE Proceedings.